The Housing Action Coalition (HAC) is a member-supported non-profit organization advocating for building new, well-designed, well-located housing at all levels of affordability to help alleviate the Bay Area and California’s housing shortage, displacement, and affordability crisis.
About the Internship
We are looking for one to two interns to support our Community Organizing Team in San Francisco and the East Bay on everything from political advocacy to policy research.
Interns will have exposure to the fast-paced atmosphere of the field of housing politics at the local, regional, and state level. This position will involve extensive learning about the housing development process and pro-housing policy, with opportunities to engage with political, policy, and development groups in the Bay Area.
The ideal candidates are collaborative self-starters willing to learn on the job and engage with a wide variety of political and business leaders working in the housing field.
Responsibilities will vary day-to-day, but interns can expect the following:
- Tracking and supporting new housing projects through the entire development process.
- Attending meetings on development and legislative processes.
- Researching current local housing legislation and drafting letters of support.
- Providing additional support to the Organizing Team.
- Interest in housing and the development process.
- Interest in local and regional politics and government.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, strong public speaking skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with a strong eye for detail.
- Access to a computer and cell phone.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and the Google Suite is preferred.
- Experience using Adobe products and design software is preferred.
- This internship is for the Spring 2022 term, from early February through late May, with some flexibility around start and end dates.
- Interns should be available approximately 10-15 hours per week for both in-office (COVID depending) and remote work, with some attendance at evening events such as City Council meetings.
- HAC requires full compliance with state and local regulations on masking and vaccination status.
- This is an unpaid position, but we are happy to work with schools for class credit.
- We will accept applications on a rolling basis, with preference to hire by late January 2022.
- Resume outlining past experience and skills.
- Short cover letter explaining your career goals and how you connect with HAC’s mission.
- Estimated availability during the internship period (hours/days of week).
- Email to abbie (at) sfhac.org.